Tips for hosting a video call for wear it pink
Thinking of holding a virtual wear it pink this year, but not sure where to start? We’ve put together a handy step-by-step guide for hosting a successful video call for wear it pink.
Set up a JustGiving page
To get you started and help raise those all-important pounds, we’d recommend setting up your very own JustGiving page (don’t worry, it’s super quick and easy to set one up!) Just Giving is an online giving platform that allows you to create your own fundraising page, where your friends, family or colleagues can donate by credit or debit card online.
To find out how to set one up, have a read of our handy guide: How to set up a JustGiving page for your wear it pink event.
To Zoom or not to Zoom?
The next step is to decide which video tool you’d like to use. There are few different ones out there, so do some research and take your pick! A few good things to think about are:
- How many people will be coming? Will this video tool be able to accommodate your guest list and still show good quality video?
- Accessibility: how easy is the tool to use? Especially for people who haven’t used video calling apps before.
- Backgrounds: does this tool have a background feature, where you can upload one of our fabulous wear it pink backgrounds for your video call? We’ve got a pom-pom, confetti or party background!
Run a few test meetings before the day to make sure you’re familiar with how to use it, and can answer any questions from your guests!
Practical tips for making your video call seamless
It can take a little bit of getting used to, but we’ve found that these tricks help make a video call easier to manage:
- If you’ve got background noise (like traffic, construction or a loud washing machine), mute your microphone when you’re not talking. This is especially useful during a quiz! Depending on which video tool you use, the ‘mute’ button is usually in the corner or bottom of your screen.
- Sharing your screen is a great way to share content with your guests. You could pre-prepare a PowerPoint presentation to share, use our Big Pink Quiz PDF, show people how they can access your Just Giving page or tell your guests a bit more about wear it pink. Have a practice before your event to make sure you feel confident.
How to get people involved
Games and activities are a great way to raise money! There are a few games in your fundraising pack that can be played over a video call, and more available to download on our website. We would recommend playing The Big Pink Quiz, Guess the number of microscopes and Pin the Beak on the Flamingo.
Get creative and think about other ways you could encourage people to join in and donate. We’re always adding new ideas to our website, and have put together a blog about fun virtual games to play.
Invite your guests
Once you’ve decided on the agenda for your wear it pink event, send out e-invites to your friends and colleagues! We have some great e-invite templates you can use in your emails.
Remember to tell your guests if they need to bring anything to join in the games, and make sure to include clear instructions for how to join the video call on the day.
Bake some tasty treats
As it gets closer to your wear it pink event, why not bake some tasty treats to enjoy whilst you’re on camera? You could make it into a virtual bake-off with your guests, or just bake a few treats to keep you going through the fun. Either way, a video call is much more fun when there is a cup of tea and some snacks!
Take a pink snapshot of your online event!
Finally, get your costume together, have your games at the ready and turn the camera on! Use screen-shot to get a colourful photo of you and your guests. Send your snaps and stories from the day to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Breast Cancer Now
When people come to your event, it’s always great to let them know how much of an impact their donation will have. Have a look on our website at some of our research projects, or the services we run to support people affected by breast cancer.
We hope you enjoy your virtual wear it pink day, and we can’t wait to hear how it goes.